Saturday, October 27, 2012

Little Houses, Purple Hearts





I just finished this little house. It was a birthday gift for a very good friend. This was a tough project. She gave me a shoebox full of things that belonged to her father. He was sent over to fight in WW2 and died July 4, 1944. She was in her mother's womb when he died, and he didn't know he had a child on the way when he was shipped out. Well, he never knew he had a child period, and his child never got to know him.
Originally she said I could glue the purple heart on it and paint it black.  I couldn't do that, so instead I rebuild the original box it came in (because it was falling apart) and turned it into a door.  Some of the objects glued on are from my collection since she didn't have enough to cover the house. The roof lifts up and inside are some items I couldn't embed, like the official letter from the government and a card he had made for her mother. The chimney is his brass lighter, the roof is a feather hat that belonged to her aunt. I built all of this, the house and the stand. It was an honor to be entrusted with these items, but honestly I've got to say, the purple hearts our government gives out should be solid gold for the price paid in order to receive one. They are really kind of cheap looking. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for those who go and fight and get injured or killed, I just don't agree with all of our endless wars.
The title of this is: "Daddy Johnny Comes Home."

No comments: