Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Making Things From Nothing

When things are slow with art--meaning sales, inspiration and such--I make things. This is a little blue stool. Made with some reclaimed redwood and one hundred year old long leaf pine flooring and some oops paint from Home Depot. I've moved these stacks of lumber about 5 times, now I'm working through the stack to get to a point of no-stacks-to-move-no-mo. The whole point for me is keeping this great lumber out of the landfill or burn pile, and to create something new with it. A way to give it purpose, or keep it 'alive.'  I can't explain why it is I do this, but I do identify with it closely. Feeling kind of old myself these days, like maybe I'm out of the loop and yet, not ready to go to the burn pile. I do everything I can to stay relevant and aware, tweeting and instagraming, facebooking etc...still, this world is geared to the young. (of which I am no longer) Oh jeez, I'm waxing poetic now, eh? Here's the deal--I believe in making something from nothing. The above is just an example. I'm fixin' to go out into the warm workshop (because it's in the upper 60's today for chripes sake) and make a lot of noise and sawdust.  Check previous posts for scratchboard workshop info. I'm goin' to Texas next month!

No comments: