Friday, January 7, 2011

Artists Statements

I'm feeling like a little crazy, blue bird....of happiness!

Working on my resume, cd of images and artist statement to apply to be a studio artist at the Fayetteville Underground Studio/Gallery here in Arkansas. Check it out at http://www.fayettevilleunderground.com/ I went there last night for the 1st Thursday event and the joint was hopping! Full of really great art, snacks and people. Made me think that I really want to be a part of this group. If they'll have me.
So, the subject of today's post: Artists Statements. I have to do one for the application process and I'm really resistant to the whole idea. I've done them before under great duress. Always have been turned off by the 'blah,blah,blah, Art and subconscious pursuit of some weird collection of words and thoughts so that you think I'm significant, smart and special, blah, blah'. Can you tell I feel strongly about this? It's pretty simple for me, it's pretty much black and white with a smattering of color thrown into the mix. I make marks on paper or scratchboard or whatever else happens to be in front of me. I don't know if it all means something or some means nothing. I just do it because the doing of it makes me feel better about myself and the world around me. I of course hope that somehow it makes others feel something too, but I've long ago given up on the idea that I can make anyone feel anything specific just by the 'power' of my art. Of course I want people to enjoy it, and buy it, otherwise I have to go back to fixing houses and toilets. Any suggestions from any of you out there on constructing one of these statements would be helpful. I don't have any comments on this blog for the year 2011 yet, and always appreciate knowing that at least one person reads this (besides me) so have at it if you want. I will probably just cobble something together from my statement at Wally Workman Gallery http://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/ and my bio on the http://www.blue-eyedponystudio.com/ website. As far as statements go, I really feel I lack an original idea, kind of funny coming from a creative mind, don't ya think? The art at the beginning of the post is a 3"x5" Ampersand Art scratchboard http://www.ampersandart.com/ with clayboard inks. It's sitting in my studio and is for sale, as is everything I make. It comes in a sweet little gallery frame for $50.00 and is ready to hang. If you want it give me a shout here or email me at the link at my website. Happy, Happy Winter time!

2 comments:

tanya m said...

For me, the sentences starting with "It's pretty simple for me..." and ending with "houses and toilets" seem like a great artist's statement. Let other people talk about how great you are, the statement just lets them know whose stuff they are admiring.

(tanya mccown here)

Unknown said...

http://www.mollygordon.com/resources/marketingresources/artstatemt/

I like this site on how to write an artist statement.