Monday, January 6, 2014

Holy Thank The Chicken Gods, I have Health Insurance Now!

After a confusing start at the Healthcare.gov site I am enrolled and now have coverage. You better believe I'm heading to the Doctor office this week to get checked and schedule some tests I've been putting off.  Once you've had cancer (and I had the 'easy' type of thyroid) every ache and pain becomes 'suspect'. Without insurance I have had to just suck it up and hope everything is alright in there. I'm so happy right now. Bliss, I won't have to go bankrupt from an illness. Here we are in one of the richest countries in the world and folks like me worry about these things. And I am not the poorest of the poor by any stretch. I have a house, truck and I'm warm and well-fed. But I'm an artist and being that means that it's feast or famine with sales for much of the time. I had a good end of the year with commissions and sales so I'm grateful. I am by no stretch of the imagination a 'slacker', I've worked hard all of my life to be productive. Whether it's fixing houses, or making art, it's something I push, push, push at everyday. It seems like people always say, "Oh, I love art", but when it comes to supporting the artists who create it, they don't make the connection or understand that it means PAYING the artists. So I ask you, not just for myself, rather than buying some imported print at a big box store, find an artist you like and ask them to make something in your price range. Trust me, most of us will work with you to make you happy. And good golly, promoting the arts, and buying our work will make us happy too.
I'm working on the Kickstarter Chicken Scratchin' project and dang it is fun. Last night Cindy Jo, Jan Van and Teresa and I recorded an original chicken song for the video soundtrack. We are not Hollywood, or Nashville but we sure had a hoot and a holler doing it. Stay tuned for that to launch Jan 20 and run through March. I'll also be doing another one of my 'Big Art Giveaway' things at my facebook page Linda Sheets Art. Check it out, like the page, and check in around Jan. 20. The artwork goes quickly. All I ask is shipping/packing charges and that you donate dollars to a shelter.
Ok, over and out for now.

No comments: