Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Scratchboard Demo Fun

Ok, please forgive me for the side-ways, out of focus view on this photo.  I finally got a smart phone, and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to use it!  If you tilt your head to the right you get the general idea.  This is a 5"x7" Ampersand Art scratchbord from last night's demo.  The artist, Linda Flores, invited me to come spend the evening teaching a group of cancer survivors some scratchbord techniques. I am a 'member' of that cancer survivor 'club' now, due to the whole thyroid cancer experience in June. We had such a great time.  There were about 10 of us, talking, drawing, scratching, enjoying.  I loved it!  I believe there might even be a few new converts to the scratchbord way.  They liked it so much they asked me to come back on the 19th to continue the class.  It is so satisfying for me to watch as folks discover what they can do with this bord. (that's the Ampersand spelling)  The way Linda F is approaching this design is a very traditional take on using scratchbord as illustration.  It looks very much like a woodcut, or etching. She used a template of a line drawing, transferred it using white chalk on the back.  The scratching beyond the line drawing is her imagination and talent.  I look forward to seeing this completed on the 19th.  She attended a class I taught at the Fayetteville Underground earlier this year, and used her artwork from that class to make inkjet prints of it on greeting cards. I promise I will take better photos next time. 
There is a dusting of snow on the ground outside,  I'm warm and toasty inside.  Thinking about some commission projects that need to be done before Christmas.  Oh my...I'd best jump on those today!

No comments: