Friday, January 6, 2012

Idea Dog Scratchboard

This little sweet black dog with an idea was completed the other day.  I reused a 3"x5" Ampersand Art scratchbord, sample size.  After teaching a workshop I hang onto all the spare boards that students have scratched up and then I lightly sand with fine sandpaper and brush on some Speedball Super Black India Ink and there you go, a new surface to scratch through. It's hard to get a real smooth finish like Ampersand does, and the Speedball ink makes it a bit harder to scratch (don't make it too thick), but if your tools are sharp and your hand steady you can do it. The effect of whatever previous scratching was there pops out and just adds depth and dimension to the piece. Happy Accidents. I've got some big plans and big ideas for 2012.  Working on some of them today.  Let's just say, they involve dogs and scratchbord artworks and kickstarter.  Will keep you posted as it develops.  This planning stuff is an unusual thing for the impulsive Aries that I am.  I truely like to 'shoot first, ask questions later' (not that I want to shoot anyone...really!) It's a good exercise in patience for me.  And lord knows I'm not a patient person.
Speaking of which, when is Winter going to arrive in NW Arkansas?  It's been in the 50-60's during the day for a while now.  This is January, isn't it supposed to be cold?  The fact that our past summer was extremely hot and now this has made me wonder if this location is where I belong...I don't mean to complain, it really has been beautiful and mild.  But something about it just doesn't feel right. Maybe it's just the memories of the Northern Indiana winters stuck somewhere in the back of my head.
Last night was 1st Thursday in Fayetteville. No Underground.  I miss it.  I miss the other artists. Saddness.

No comments: