Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Adventures In Scratchboard Drawing



I finished this 5"x7" Ampersand Art scratchboard drawing last night. Sprayed it with Krylon Workable fixatif this morning. Suddenly, my worst nightmare, a speck of dust on the surface of the black. You can see it in photo #2 above. I imagine there may be specks on the white or even the brown, but they don't show up like they do on the black. Duh! When this happens, there is nothing you can do. Nothing!  I grabbed a tweezer to see if I could pull it off, and of course I made it worse. Now, when faced with this situation in the past, I would add some paper collage on the surface to cover it...and I intended to do that. Then I noticed the speck of junk under the eye (photo #3) and I almost cried. Dang, I hate when this happens. Although, when this has happened before, I've found solutions to fix them that have changed my style or created a different path to go down. I hope that's the case here. I'm thinking I may just have to start over on a new board and make a new 'Eddy'. This is a behind the scene view folks. I don't often share my 'mistakes'.  It may look easy, but there are so many steps to go through to bring a piece to completion, and at any step, things can go off the rails. In spite of this, I am so happy to be doing this dog scratchin' book project. I've gotten over 25 dogs to draw and stories to tell so far. Those of you who have not gotten your info to me, don't worry, I will give you a little poke next week to remind you. If you have questions or comments, have at it. I'll get back to all of you. Happy, happy dog day to you all.

No comments: